Tuesday, June 20, 2006

This June Morning

Tuesday, June 20, 2006
2 comments

I awoke before the birds this morning, about 4 am. Could not sleep, so I sat outside on the patio for about an hour, listening to the world stirring, stretching, and rising to meet the day.

It was a lovely morning, with lemony light slanting in from the East--perfect for digiscoping. I heard a prairie warbler out the meadow, so I geared up, grabbed my coffee and headed out. Little did I know that this was the only prairie warbler in the universe that does not sing from an exposed perch near the top of a tree. Perhaps he spends the winter in the tropics picking up bad habits from antbirds and antpittas. Never got a glimpse, or even a shot. I considered getting my iPod to lure him out, but quickly rejected the idea. There will be other chances.

I did manage two distant shots which I'll share here: a northern cardinal male and an indigo bunting male. Neither image is going to get me the cover of National Geographic but it felt good to snap some bird pix again.



Tomorrow I leave for Maine and the remainder of the American Birding Association convention. It'll be nice to hang with some birding pals. And who knows, I might just head off on another quest for a couple of life birds--spruce grouse, black-backed woodpecker, northern three-toed woodpecker.... Call me a dreamer, pero no somos nada sin nuestros suenos.

2 comments:

On June 20, 2006 at 9:22 AM Rondeau Ric said...

Ok dreamer, make sure you do the jelly belly whooohoo dance once you see them.

On June 20, 2006 at 9:02 PM Bill of the Birds said...

I promise, if I get a lifer, I'll do the Dance. Big as Life.


[BACK TO TOP]