Thursday, June 22, 2006

Bangor Update

Thursday, June 22, 2006
7 comments
The only cool thing about the Detroit airport is this tunnel of light. I spent three hours inside it today, just zoning out.

OK. Here's my final whiny update on this trip to Maine.
Spent the hours between 12 noon and 9:45 pm inside the Detroit airport.
Spent the hours between 9:50 pm and 1:15 am on the tarmac at the Detroit airport.
Got into Bangor at 3 am.
4:30 am bus trip to Acadia NP (which my bro Jeff Gordon got me on) so I'm staying up to go birding.

Why sleep now?

Needless to say I've had some idle hours to think up some new marketing slogans for my friends at Northwest Airlines. (I know these delays were Mother Nature's doing, but so many of the NWA folks were being real Crankypants, that I thought I'd help them out a bit here).

So here's what I suggest for NWA's 2007 marketing campaign.

Northwest Airlines
Helping you appreciate the automobile

Northwest Airlines
We fly only on sunny days!

or

Northwest Airlines
Not when our planes are wet. Eeeeewww!

Northwest Airlines
We don't think you've spent enough time in Detroit

Northwest Airlines
Try our Next Day Express Service—We'll get you there in 2 to 3 days MAX!

Northwest Airlines
We've got your seat right here, next to a 380-pound man who just had Mexican food for lunch! And look! He's taking off his boots!

7 comments:

On June 22, 2006 at 8:17 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

What would we do without your blog? Because he's likely to be engaged until late afternoon, know that as of 7 AM Thursday June 22, your faithful blogger is standing on a rock in Acadia National Park, bereft of sleep but fueled by a good breakfast and coffee, looking for birds. The weather, for once, is beautiful. Perhaps this time the gods will smile on him. We think he's suffered enough.

On June 22, 2006 at 8:19 AM Rondeau Ric said...

They are all excellent, I like the wet plane best.
Ah, air travel so relaxing.
Hope Maine is worth the effort.

On June 22, 2006 at 9:16 AM Face said...

Northwest ????


I believe you have it spelled wrong, it's Northworst.

On June 22, 2006 at 11:14 AM janet said...

That tunnel looks freaky. You didn't see any of your dead relatives at the end of it did you?

May you experience fair winds and following seas for the rest of your trip. You'll love Maine. You get to see puffins AND drink Dunkin' Donuts coffee -- something Midwesterners rarely experience (the Dunkies coffee I mean -- you all travel the world to see puffins, right?)

On June 22, 2006 at 11:52 AM Anonymous said...

I laughed til tears ran down my cheeks. I don't know many people who can keep the funny bone alive under such trying conditions. We, your fans, have benefitted by your Unfortunate Travels. May the Bird Gods smile on you and send the lifers your way, while your eyes are open enough to se them.
S.

On June 22, 2006 at 12:31 PM Doc said...

Bill,

Great marketing slogans for Northwest Airlines. I thing I could have come up with some for AirTrans when I had the honor of being stranded at Atlanta overnight.

Enjoy Maine. It is a beautiful state.

On June 22, 2006 at 3:10 PM KatDoc said...

I thought you were crazy when I read your last adventure, twisted ankle, bugs and all. Now, I KNOW you are crazy - after 24 hrs of travel, you are foregoing sleep for birding. Glad you made it there safely, but get some rest, dude! Hope the journey home is less exciting.

Kathi


[BACK TO TOP]