Monday, June 12, 2006

Number 600-something

Monday, June 12, 2006
6 comments
It's late and I am a mixture of totally tired and revving on adrenaline. Here's why.
I saw this species tonight, right at dusk, within a few dozen yards of the Canadian border near Roseau, MN.


I'll tell the whole story soon. Tomorrow I have a couple more quest birds before I catch the big bird home. Now...sleep!

Special thanks to Dave Lambeth and Tim Driscoll for the great gray owl location tips, to Jules for letting me go to ND (and MN), and to the birding gods for smiling.

6 comments:

On June 12, 2006 at 6:42 AM MojoMan said...

Like a ghost in the night.

On June 12, 2006 at 7:00 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

You told me on the phone that you took "possibly the worst digiscoped shots of a great grey owl ever taken." I beg to differ. That's a work of art. I'm so happy for you, sweetheart. Now that the pressure's off, maybe your other quest bird will present itself as this one did. As much as I want you here at home, I want you to find that'n!

On June 12, 2006 at 8:23 AM Rondeau Ric said...

Congratulations. All you had to do was get close to Canada, eh, and you got one of your jinx birds.

If you didn't get the Connie maybe you should come to God's frozen, er , chosen country, stay in an igloo and once you see it, send a smoke mail.

On June 12, 2006 at 12:27 PM Susan Gets Native said...

What a spooky picture. And wonderful.
Like the ghost of an old man in the shadows.

On June 13, 2006 at 8:52 AM gayle from MN said...

Fabulous photo! Hope it was chilly enough that our mosquitoes didn't eat you alive!

On June 13, 2006 at 3:13 PM Bill of the Birds said...

Thanks All! This was an amazing adventure to Roseau. The skeeters DID eat me alive for the entire time, but fortunately a lot of my exposed skin was already covered by wood ticks, so there was less opportunity for probing by the mosquitos.

Will try to encapsulate my CT warbler experience next...


[BACK TO TOP]