Thursday, June 8, 2006

North Dakota Landing

Thursday, June 8, 2006
3 comments
Gee it's great to be back in North Dakota, one of my favorite places on earth. The wide open spaces just seem to relax and center me. Why? Take a look at this image of a typical ND road through the prairie potholes region of the state. Isn't it alluring?
Lots of birds today, but not a lot of time or cooperative subjects for digiscoping, so please bear with me as I share today's "best" images.
A drake blue-winged teal, just before he took off to woo a nearby female.

Breeding and courting gadwalls were everywhere today as I drove from Jamestown toward Chase Lake NWR.

How male yellow-headed blackbirds attract females with their song (sounds like someone retching) is beyond me. Must be their handsome good looks!

An adult black-crowned night heron permitted me to capture its image. Then he flew off with a loud squoc!

The only American avocet I saw all day, and it had to be sleeping!

A doe white-tailed deer scans for danger behind her.

Minneapolis must be having a huge problem with Canada geese because I saw this billboard ad in the airport!

Not sure why, but I love this image of a Swainson's hawk taking off from a fencepost.

Mas manana, amigos!

3 comments:

On June 8, 2006 at 6:56 AM Anonymous said...

Even though I know you stayed up too late to do it, thank you for squeezing out a post last night. We'll be following your adventures closely. May the sky stay blue, the sun be always at your back, and the beer be cold at the end of the day. Give everyone our love. We miss you like crazy. The home fires are well-tended.
xoxo
ScieNce CHimP

On June 8, 2006 at 7:24 AM MojoMan said...

It seems property managers never get to fly.

I've always been an East Coast guy, but have found something mesmerizing about the plains. Thanks for taking me there.

On June 8, 2006 at 10:33 AM birdchick said...

I have a photo of that same goose sign at the Minneapolis airport. Geese are a huge problem in the metro area. Some of our area lakes get closed down because of excess goose poop.

I'm leavin' town in a half hour. See you this afternoon in North Dakota.

I'm bringing Cinnamon. Prepare for disapproval.


[BACK TO TOP]