Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Motor City Madness

Wednesday, June 21, 2006
6 comments
Stranded in Detroit's trying-too-hard-to-be-modern airport with thousands of other disgruntled fellow travelers. It's looking grim for my 9:12 pm flight to depart with the tornado watch that's in effect, the almost-constant lightning, and driving rain. Presently every flight is delayed and the longest-delayed ones are being cancelled one by one.

So I've done what any savvy traveler does, I've staked out where I'll be sleeping tonight if the flight does not go to Bangor. It's at Gate C27 in the back left corner, behind the fake pine tree. If I get cold I can plug in my laptop and cuddle with it. It'll be just like camping, but on carpet and with lots of announcements going on overhead. Oh and many, many loud cell phone conversations--I'm totally updated on Aunt Flo's gout. Stop by and we'll read all yesterday's newspapers!


I'll pretend the beeping courtesy carts are crickets and I should drift peacefully away to the Land of the Sandman.

Happy trails 2U! BOTB

6 comments:

On June 21, 2006 at 9:29 PM Julie Zickefoose said...

For a man who's been on the road since 6:15 AM--and it's what? 9:15 pm? you are pretty darned entertaining.
That is beautiful carpet, and whoever thought of the fake pine tree really brought a touch of the Upper Peninsula to Gate C-27.I wish I could teleport you home. We'll be wishing you to Bangor. Maybe this is your Purgatory before you are granted the spruce grouse and black-backed woodpecker.
Love,
J,P,L,CB,C,A and L

On June 21, 2006 at 10:04 PM birdchick said...

Bill!

Jeff Bouton, Jeff Gordon, Amy Hooper, Ned Brinkley and myself are all thinking of you at the Fitzgerald Lounge at the Holiday Inn Civic Center.

We're all drinkin' to you, my man. Awful weather is all over, a tornado just passed over Bouton's house in Florida, his family is okay. Travel safe, we can't wait to see you.

You're first drink is on me.

Sharon

On June 21, 2006 at 10:50 PM Jim McCormac said...

Be careful up there, my man! That ain't Maine and the north woods - it's the 'hood in a big way! Sorry you had to go through the vacuum that is Detroit, and here's hoping you get to Bangor and the eiders/puffins soon!

On June 21, 2006 at 10:53 PM LauraHinNJ said...

Sweet spruce grouse dreams to you.

On October 21, 2019 at 7:12 AM Sam Anderson said...

Flights scheduled at an airport should be on board and they also need every flight to fly from there so that passengers may not get worried before flying on a trip.
short stay parking gatwick

On November 11, 2022 at 4:57 AM Mark said...

We're all drinkin' to you, my man. Awful weather is all over, a tornado just passed over Bouton's house in Florida, his family is okay. Travel safe, we can't wait to see you. Birmingham Airport long stay parking


[BACK TO TOP]