Friday, February 3, 2006

Remember the Dippy Bird

Friday, February 3, 2006
1 comments
If you were a kid in the 1960s you might remember the Dippy Bird (sometimes called The Sippy or Drinking Bird). It would teeter over and dip its bill into a small glass of water. How did they do it?

These creatures fascinated me. Still do.

So you can imagine my excitement at Christmas when I opened up my gift from my sister-in-law, Barb and found this amazing green-tufted woodpecker toy. Start the cute l'il feller at the top of the metal rod and watch him work his way to the bottom. This is a very enjoyable toy (and a thoughtful gift for the birder on your holiday list).
Tuft waving from his exertion, the green-tufted woodpecker hammers his way to an
inevitable conclusion at the bottom of the only "tree" he'll ever visit.

There is a wildness in this bird's eyes that I find so enchanting.

1 comments:

On February 3, 2006 at 3:42 PM Rondeau Ric said...

Easily amused aren’t we? Do you watch paint dry? Gourds rot? Grass grow? Hmmmm….


[BACK TO TOP]