Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Headed West

Tuesday, February 7, 2006
2 comments

Tomorrow I head to Denver for the North American Nature Photographers' Association meeting where I'll be reviewing portfolios from some of tomorrow's great nature photographers. Having spent a few nights the last few weeks watching American Idol with Julie and Phoebe, I'm thinking of letting my inner Simon Cowell out.

I've been practicing this phrase in a British accent:
"These are, without a doubt, the WORST bird photographs I have ever seen! Sorry, it's a NO."

Or maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea.

Then I go to the SHOT Show in Las Vegas (my second-least-favorite city on the planet). SHOT stands for Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade. It's primarily a hunting show, but you can also see lots of new outdoor gear there, plus thousands of products associated with the outdoor industry. The SHOT Show is billed thusly: "It's like sitting around the campfire with 37,730 of your closest friends." This is something of an exaggeration. Most of my closest friends are not this well-armed.

Fortunately, while I am gone, an entire battalion of National Guard troops will be staying on our farm, training their Dobermans to kill intruders.

Have a nice day! Viva Las Vegas!

2 comments:

On February 8, 2006 at 10:13 AM Laura K said...

If you really want to Simonize someone try this:

"I don't mean to be RUDE but that is the most appalling work of photography I have ever seen. Simply appalling."

Or, the runner up:

"I don't mean to be RUDE, but nature photography is not your thing. You'd be better off working the one-hour photo machine at the mall. What? I'm utterly serious. Run along now."

On February 8, 2006 at 7:49 PM Bill of the Birds said...

You are totally channeling His Cowellness! Yikes!


[BACK TO TOP]