Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Wide-eyed Vireo

Tuesday, May 1, 2007
9 comments
I led a trip here in WV today to Sugar Creek Mountain, looking for cerulean warblers. We found about 10 and saw about five pretty well. It was a lifer for many. Had about 15 warbler species total and 70 species for the half-day trip. Not too bad.

Since I was leading, it was tough (impossible, really) to take many bird pix. So I'm reaching back into the BOTB bird photo archives all the way to last Sunday morning (two days ago) for these decent shots of a wide-eyed white-eyed vireo.

I hope you like them.


9 comments:

On May 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM Julie Zickefoose said...

Oh, he is soooo cute, a tennis ball with googly eyes. Miss you (as usual).

On May 1, 2007 at 10:07 PM Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Those really are some buggy eyes!!

On May 1, 2007 at 11:03 PM Susan Gets Native said...

At last...a bird name that makes sense!
Nice pics, Bill! Glad you dusted those off.

On May 2, 2007 at 12:00 AM Anonymous said...

Bring on the bird pics and may you have good birding ju-ju at the New
River Birding and Fun festival. The wide eyed vireo looks like he just saw John Denver's ghost.

s.

On May 2, 2007 at 12:26 AM Not Anonymous said...

Sunshine
On my shoulders
Makes me happy

Sunshine
In my eyes
Can make me cry

On May 2, 2007 at 6:59 AM Jayne said...

Wow, look at those eyes! Too cool!

On May 2, 2007 at 1:55 PM Sarah said...

Hi Bill,

I have been admiring your photos and wondered if I might ask for some digiscoping advice. Part of it might be that my camera is old and been dropped down a couple of mountains, but whenever I take a photo through our nature center's excellent Swarovski, white edges have a blue tint, as in this nighthawk: http://i13.tinypic.com/4pl9zib.jpg

(A friend discovered it, wish I could take the credit!)

Any ideas about how to fix this, or is it time to upgrade to a newer camera?

On May 2, 2007 at 2:28 PM Mary said...

Like them? They're fabulous, especially the fourth one.

On May 3, 2007 at 10:34 AM kevbosnafu said...

That vireo looks like he enjoyed a nice lunch for himself (herself?). That belly looks like mine after my Dunkin donuts 'donut of the day' this morning.

Great shots!


[BACK TO TOP]