Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Cranberry Glades

Wednesday, May 2, 2007
2 comments

Our trip today was up to the high country in Greenbrier County. Cranberry Glades Wilderness Area is a giant bog set in a bowl on top of a mountain deep inside the Monongahela National Forest. Many unusual plants grow here and many interesting birds can be found here above 3,800 feet.

We heard a lot of birds and saw many of them. Among the favorites were the displaying golden-crowned kinglets, red crossbills, black-throated blue warbler (my favorite warbler), and Canada warbler. I took the world's worst photograph of a Canada warbler today.

Canada warbler male, along the bog boardwalk in Cranberry Glades.

Otherwise, it was a day focused on finding birds for the folks on our field trip and getting them safely out to the bog and back. I think everyone was happy judging from the number of participants who got life birds.
Male red crossbill near the Cranberry Mountain Wilderness Center.

I snapped a few photos along the way, but none of them were good bird photos. I now know why several serious photographer friends of mine have always maintained that your can go birding OR you can do bird photography. You can't do both. Today was for birding.

A dandelion field at the wilderness center.

2 comments:

On September 7, 2007 at 5:55 PM Anonymous said...

Cranberry Glades is in Pocahontas County, not Greenbrier County.

On April 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM Helen said...

Hi,
I would like to ask if I may use your picure of the dandelion field, to my website maskrosvarlden.se. In the moment it´s under construction, but I whould like to use it in my header and give you credit for the picure, if that´s ok with you. May I use your picture?
Best regards
Helen
info@maskrosvarlden.se


[BACK TO TOP]