Sunday, May 27, 2007

Here Today Oriole

Sunday, May 27, 2007
7 comments

On a recent morning, the whistling rattle-scratch song of a male orchard oriole cascaded down from the black willow tree on top of our hill. We've had orchard orioles nest on the farm here once or twice before, and we're keeping our fingers crossed for more luck this year.

He sang and sang, calling out to a female who was not there—at least not yet.

The next morning there was no oriole song. I listened throughout the day, hoping he was still around. Maybe he was just quiet, having found his gal. Or maybe he'd moved on to another place, on another hill, with another tall, leafy tree.

Before he left, the male oriole flew to the dead ash tree, singing still. But with the sun in my eyes, he looked like a mere shadow of his former self.

7 comments:

On May 27, 2007 at 11:52 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

I heard him singing Sunday morning about 9:45 AM. Cross your fingers for a hanging nest and little green babies in the garden this year. I love your pictures.

On May 27, 2007 at 1:29 PM Anonymous said...

Great shot, especially the one in the dead ash. I love it!

On May 27, 2007 at 4:46 PM VFC said...

I love orchard orioles. I don't get to see them often, but when I do it's always a thrill.

On May 27, 2007 at 9:48 PM Julie Zickefoose said...

There. He sang all day Sunday. Keep hoping,love.

On May 27, 2007 at 11:25 PM Susan Gets Native said...

All fingers and toes crossed. Even my eyes are crossed.

On May 28, 2007 at 7:50 AM anne said...

In light or in shadow, I love those pictures of birds with their little heads lifted in song. I hope your bird keeps singing...

On May 28, 2007 at 10:46 AM Mary said...

Bird silhouettes aren't always great but this one is the best I've seen. It's wonderful.

I hope they nest nearby!


[BACK TO TOP]