Saturday, February 2, 2008

Viva SHOT Vegas!

Saturday, February 2, 2008
9 comments
SHOT Show floor.

In a few days I will be spending nearly all my time inside a giant convention center in the city that REALLY never sleeps: Las Vegas.

The SHOT Show is an annual event for me. As the editor of a birding magazine, I go, not to gamble or to see Barry Manilow or Wayne Newton, or to explore the carrying capacities of the endless buffets, but to discover what's new in the way of optics for birding. But hey--if I happen to run in to Barry or Wayne or The Nuge, then we'll have a chin wag and head for the buffet...

The SHOT Show is for hunters and all the gear and accoutrement for your basic consumptive outdoor pursuits. It is unbelievably huge. I will walk the soles off my shoes.

Promo banner showing happy gun owners. "More chardonnay, Bryce, or would you like a dose of buckshot?"

This year's show coincides with the Super Bowl, which will make for some interesting conflicts of interest among the companies displaying at the show—it won't be possible to split early to catch the Super Bowl pregame. Oh bother!

As for me, I plan to be in my hotel room, having a cold cerveza, reading a good book, wearing my bunny slippers when the Big Game comes on. I have no vested interest in the outcome—couldn't care any less about the two teams playing. But I am certain to see ecstatic and despondent people in Vegas after the game is over and the bets are paid off. Of all the weekends to have to go to the Dante's Inferno of the American West, why Super Bowl weekend?

Well, I've got a plane to catch, and as Marty DiBergi once said: "Enough of my yakking! Let's boogie!"

9 comments:

On February 2, 2008 at 10:45 AM Anonymous said...

Please let us know about any cool new gear you find there. An optics blog post or two would be appreciated! Thanks!

On February 2, 2008 at 7:59 PM Julie Zickefoose said...

I want to hear about the gun bunnies. Full disclosure strongly advised. What happens in Vegas is heard about in Whipple.

On February 3, 2008 at 1:57 AM BWJones said...

Awww Bill. I was here for the first day of Shot Show covering it for Wired. I would have hoped to have met you, but you should check out some of the Kowa optics for birding. The Zeiss folks were typical Zeiss... not very helpful but great products. I am looking for that digital camera adapter mount that Zeiss has and nobody could tell me anything about their products.

On February 3, 2008 at 6:16 AM KatDoc said...

Vegas - blah! Better you than me. My theory is that everyone should visit Las Vegas. I've been once; I don't have to go again, Thank God.

I'll bet your wife would like it if you would stay home for a while.

~Kathi, whose verification word starts with "zck..."

On February 3, 2008 at 7:19 AM Jayne said...

Surely to goodness, the Nuge will be in there someplace?? :c) Do not envy you being there on Superbowl Sunday. Hope you can find some really new, cool gadget to make the trip really worthwhile!

On February 3, 2008 at 12:21 PM Nate said...

Hope your wardrobe is sufficiently hunter orange. Be careful in there...

On February 3, 2008 at 1:05 PM Anonymous said...

When you come home, you can participate in our second weekly Cookie Toss! Liam's the champ so far.

On February 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM Mary said...

Oh, gosh...Las Vegas on Super Bowl Sunday. Watch out for the crazies.

I'm with you, other than Jordan Spark's opening "Star-Spangled Banner" and half-time (maybe), I'm reading your blog.

Take a picture of the bunny slippers, please.

On February 4, 2008 at 11:45 AM Seth and Michelle said...

Just wanted to say thanks again for your great posts. We really enjoy them. I used to live in "Lost Wages" before I was a birder (which, the thought, kills me now) and it is truly a magnificent, beautiful, horrid and desperate wasteland. Especially during Superbowl.


[BACK TO TOP]