Friday, February 1, 2008

For the Avocet in Winter

Friday, February 1, 2008
4 comments

I saw you walking all alone
lost in thought or concentrating
pale shadow of your springtime self
perhaps it's spring you're contemplating

Sunlight makes you paler still
with every step the water deepens
stopping once to wet your bill
concentric ripples outward sweeping.

When your head returns to burnt sienna
the nest you'll tend along the coast
'neath summer sun that leaves me squinting
I'll remember you, my winter ghost

American avocet in winter plumage, Merritt Island NWR, Titusville, Florida.

4 comments:

On February 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM Mary said...

You composed that? Dang!

On February 2, 2008 at 9:47 AM Bill of the Birds said...

J: Always nice to have an objective opinion, thanks!

Mary: Yep. Me like powtry

On April 15, 2008 at 9:43 AM Kelly H. said...

I've just discovered an American Avocet two miles from my home, just east of Tulsa, OK. She's taken up residence at a golf course pond.


[BACK TO TOP]