Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Leaving Las Vegas

Tuesday, February 5, 2008
5 comments
I tried my best to post to BOTB from Lost Wages on Monday but something about paying $12 for Internet access on top of paying $200+ for a Motel 4-1/2-quality hotel room made me pause to consider. Then I tried posting from my iPhone which was only possible sans images and, you know, I'm nothing without images.

So now, settled safely back into farm life in rural (and rain-saturated) SE Ohio, I have access to the few images I nabbed in Vegas. Sorry to disappoint, but No Nuge. Perhaps it was his Mossy Oak camo that made him impossible to locate...

One thing is guaranteed on the long flight from the East to the West: Cool things to look at from the air. Most of the images to follow are ones I took with the camera in my iPhone. The aerial shots were all taken through an airplane window—two or more layers of unbreakable plastic. Given these limitations, I think the shots came out OK.

Sky above, cloud below at 35,000 feet above Oklahoma.

If ever a river could be called serpentine, this one is it. It looks like it's slithering across a Thanksgiving tablecloth.

Lake Mead, the huge body of water formed behind Hoover Dam. To me this looks like those bumpy parts of my elementary school globe. Hey is that Australia?

My Las Vegas lodging. Dirty room, clanging slot machines, too many clowns. At least it was smoky. Just Say No.

See the tiny vertical sliver between the concrete on the left and the pink glass on the right? That's the view of the Nevada desert from my hotel room.

Leaving Las Vegas late at night. Even from the air it looks like an old hooker all bedecked with sequins.

I did not spend a single farthing on gambling in LV—something I aspire to each and every time I go there. But they make it soooo easy to spend your money on games of chance. Or even to spend your money on anything. The safe in my room cost fitty cent to use!

The SHOT Show was one big adventure. I enjoy the cacophony and challenge of talking business with so many knives and firearms all around. (I really do!). I'm already looking forward to next year!

Tomorrow: The advent of digi-poaching!

5 comments:

On February 6, 2008 at 6:53 AM Jayne said...

You know, as much as they've tried to now tout it as "a family destination" and such, it's just one place I have never aspired to visit. I truly don't care if I ever see it.

Glad the show was a hit!

On February 6, 2008 at 7:28 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

One man's paradise is another man's hell. I'm with you. Being physically separated from anything natural, even for only three days, SHOULD be unpleasant! We're glad you're home.

On February 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM Susie@GW said...

Bill, you really got me with dirty hotel room ... at LEAST it was smoky, just say no... ode to lost wages. Loved it!

On February 6, 2008 at 11:30 AM Mary said...

Never had a desire to be there. I'm too cheap to gamble. If I put money in a machine, I want something back, i.e. candy bar.

Great air shots!

On February 6, 2008 at 8:54 PM Tom said...

Bill,

I love taking and looking at photos shot from the air. Your shots are great, especially of Lake Mead.

Tom


[BACK TO TOP]