Friday, October 12, 2007

Phoebe Holding Back the Cold

Friday, October 12, 2007
2 comments

Oh phoebe. Thank you for holding back the seasons!

I see you do not fear the ceramic monkey skull. Such a tact-free decoration in our garden. I am glad it does not spook you. It still spooks me.

And please do not fear the coming winter, at least not yet. Its bluster cannot harm you now. Stay and let me see you and hear you yet a few more days. You carry the warming glow of Indian summer on your wings. When you go, it goes with you.

So stay a while yet, while the katydids trill and the crickets buzz. Soon enough their music will be stilled by the frost. And you shall be banished to the protected hollers, hoping winter's bite is gently met. 'Til spring returns on the wings of midges and you re-find a reason to call out your name.

2 comments:

On October 13, 2007 at 9:12 AM Jayne said...

Maybe it will be a mild winter and your sweet phoebes will keep in touch. I do hope so.

On October 14, 2007 at 11:04 PM Mary said...

My gosh, BOTB, you are an incredible poet and writer. I learn a lot here - today, about those beautiful Phoebes.


[BACK TO TOP]