Sunday, October 14, 2007

Big Sit Report #1

Sunday, October 14, 2007
4 comments

Made it up to the tower about 11:45 and got my gear situated. No moon at all, so it was as dark as a cave up in the tower. First thing I saw after the midnight starting bell was a falling star. Hope it portends big things for The Big Sit! I lay on my back on the tower floor and just let the stars do their twinkling.

First bird was a passing chipping sparrow. Among the billions of stars was my old pal Orion off to the east, who appeared to have an iPod hanging from his belt. But far fewer nocturnal migrants making themselves heard with call notes than I had last year. I wish I were better at the night flight calls--makes me wish I had my own personal Michael O'Brien or Bill Evans here to coach me. Wonder if the birds are just flying high in the middle of the night and I can't hear them.

Lots of dogs barking and distant vehicle sounds. The gurgle of our water feature and the murmuring trills of snowy tree crickets dominated the soundscape.

An eastern screech-owl called from way off to the south about 12:35 am. And a barred owl gave its "Whoooahh" call about 1 am. They use this call as a "Who's there?" I was happy to get at least two of our three nesting owls. Still waiting for the great horned to bellow.

I love thinking about all the other Big Sit circles around the world, some already halfway through their Sit. Others a few hours from starting, sitters still sleeping.

It being rather still and quiet here at Indigo Hill, I believe I'll catch a few winks.

Species count: 3

Back soon...

4 comments:

On October 14, 2007 at 6:29 AM Jeff Gyr said...

I have my own personal Michael O'Brien and it's not helping much. ;-)

Here in Cape May, 20 minutes of listening this morning yielded 1 Northern Parula, 1 American Redstart, and 1 Savannah Sparrow.

As soon as it gets light, Michael, Louise, & I are going to take the ABA kid's group out to look for marsh sparrows.

Jessie Barry and a few other CMBO staffers are BS'ing over at our old stomping grounds, the hawk watch platform. I'll be curious to see how they're doing.

Hang in there.

On October 14, 2007 at 9:49 AM KatDoc said...

Bill:

I checked in at 8am, now it's almost 10. WAKE UP!! You're missing the Big Sit.

~Kathi, who is doing a "Little Sit" by looking out the window occasionally, while cleaning her house

On October 14, 2007 at 10:07 AM Bill of the Birds said...

Update coming now. It's been birdy this morning.

On October 14, 2007 at 11:11 PM Mary said...

The Big Sit. Around the world. How awesome. Like Kathi, I spent the afternoon peeking at the feeders while folding laundry :o)


[BACK TO TOP]