Monday, December 11, 2006

The Song in My Head

Monday, December 11, 2006
5 comments

During my recent all-day, snowy trek home from Jamestown, New York I had my music to keep me company (and to help reduce the white-knuckle grip I had on the steering wheel). I put my iPod on "random" because I was sick of hearing the same 47 songs I was playing over and over again.

One of the songs that popped randomly into my ears immediately became the new Song in My Head. It's from a recent Paste Magazine CD (I've sung the praises of this music mag here in BOTB before). And I am composing a fan letter to Paste's editor even as I write this.

So without further a-doo-doo, the current Song in My Head is:

Hide and Seek
by Imogen Heap
from her album "Speak for Yourself"


I. Heap was formerly part of the Brit duo Frou Frou. Now she's gone solo and is making her own kind of music. I find her work listed most often under "Electronica" but that's not a genre I find myself gravitating toward very often.

I've posted a link to a YouTube video below of Imogen performing the song live, however it's the studio version that really grabbed me. It's got lush and digitally enhanced vocals, swirling waves of sound in harmony that's both succulent and dissonant. I flashed backed to Laurie Anderson's Superman. Then farther back in time to that headphones-and-weed song by The Steve Miller Band that preceded Keep on Rockin' Me Baby, the Moog synthesizer patterns wafting first in your right ear, then drifting over to the left and back again. WAY far out, man!

There's a modern sensibility to this song, though. It's not meant just for space-out time listening. It carries the weight of sadness, longing, and bitterness with it.

Imogen's lyrics in this song do not rhyme, nor do they follow any set pattern. Instead, they are launched in floating phrases by her multitudinous voices. Oddly chosen words that work really well together.

I listened to Hide and Seek for about an hour straight.
Guess that's why it's still in my head these several days later.

My ears are adding this message: Thanks Paste! Thanks Ms. Heap! Thanks Weather Gods! Well, maybe not the Weather Gods...

Check her out for yourself, folks. And buy the song from iTunes or elsewhere: Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap. It's 99 cents well spent.

5 comments:

On December 11, 2006 at 10:17 PM Trixie said...

That whole album is very good. "Say Goodnight and Go" may be my 11 year-old's favorite on the album. She also likes "Please Clear the Area"

On December 12, 2006 at 6:41 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

Wow, what a gift, to be able to see her and hear her singing this amazing song, playing, flipping switches, looping...surpassingly lovely, cutting right through the technostuff to the heart.

On December 16, 2006 at 12:39 PM MojoMan said...

Thanks for the tip on Imogen Heap! I keep playing her album over and over. Very dream-like.

On July 2, 2018 at 9:43 PM alex xander said...

Does mobile phone have the best quality ringtone? Are you satisfied with your ringtone? Do you feel bored and want to change? I will mention the most favorite ringtone in 2018 that I usually install here: https://ringtonedownload.in/

These are ringtones that I recommend to anyone to refer and install without spending a lot of time:

- Dil Diyan Gallan ringtone
- Flute ringtone
- Best – bansuri ringtone
- Main Badhiya Tu Bhi Badhiya ringtone
- Oporadhi ringtone

Also you can refer and install additional telugu music here: Telugu ringtones

Best quality ringtone in 2018 here. Free ringtones for everyone here. Quickly install your favorite ringtone for your mobile phone. Thank you for your attention.

On December 7, 2019 at 2:33 AM Kumar Abelard said...

https://klingeltonekostenlos.com/filmmusik/
klingeltöne filmmusik
filmmusik klingeltöne


[BACK TO TOP]