Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Mr. & Mrs. Reddy

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
5 comments
When my parents first started Bird Watcher's Digest, people would ask my dad bird questions, thinking that, since he was the publisher of a bird magazine, he'd have a vast knowledge about birds. My mom was the bird watcher in those days. Dad's expertise was in journalism, not birds, and was far more valuable to the fledgling publishing venture than bird knowledge. Still, he'd feel a bit awkward about not being much of a birder (he's since become much more interested and avid) so he'd make a joke about it.

"I only know two birds and their names are Mr. and Mrs Reddy. I think you bird watchers call them cardinals or something like that!"

Surprisingly this resulted in few--if any--cancelled subscriptions.

Here are recent images I captured of Mr and Mrs Reddy when they visited the bird feeders at Indigo Hill. By late January, we'll have more than 75 cardinals at the feeders daily.


5 comments:

On December 19, 2006 at 2:42 PM Anonymous said...

you have some beautiful photos here! Would you please tell me what kind of camera you use? The quality is just amazing.

On December 19, 2006 at 2:59 PM Bill of the Birds said...

Hi Tree:

I just got a Canon 30D with a 300mm image-stabilized lens and autofocus. I take most bird shots using a tripod, but the camera (with the IS engaged) is hand-holdable.

For the cardinal shots, I sat outside for a few hours waiting for them to get used to my presence. The birds are addicted to our suet dough, so eventually they come into range.

I'm hoping that Santa brings me a portable photo blind for Christmas.

On December 19, 2006 at 9:17 PM Susan Gets Native said...

If Geoff and I were starting a bird magazine, we would be the same way. Geoff needs Isabelle to tell him what's at the feeders.

Cardinals never fail to dazzle, especially in the winter.
So glad you are enjoying your camera!

On December 20, 2006 at 9:01 AM Rondeau Ric said...

I drool over your photos.
amazing what a quality piece of equipment and some talent can produce.

Well done BOTB

RR

On December 20, 2006 at 10:57 PM Anonymous said...

Awesome photos BT3!
S.


[BACK TO TOP]