Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Song in My Head

Saturday, December 23, 2006
4 comments

Tonight the song in my head is:

Transcontinental 1:30 a.m.
by Vienna Teng
from her album
"Dreaming Through the Noise"

I love this woman's voice.

Julie always says I am a sucker for a woman singing sweetly with an accent (see Ivy, Bjork, Garbage, Edith Piaf) but I also like to listen to nice female voices without accents (see Sheryl Crow, Lori Carson, Natalie Merchant, Aimee Mann) and Vienna Teng has no accent that I can discern, but then I've only listened to this song 10,000 times so far.

In Transcontinental 1:30 a.m. I can tell that she's singing very softly in the studio, very close to a microphone that's cranked up to maximum sensitivity. This gives this song a personal, proximate feeling, like she's singing just for you, the listener, right in your ear.

I first heard this song about three months ago on Mark Hellenberg's Crossing Boundaries show on WOUB-FM out of Athens, Ohio. I was in my car, driving home from working late, and I had to stop and listen to the entire song, then wait for the end of Mark's five-song set, to hear the artist's name. This is not the first time this excellent show has turned me on to a new artist. And this is also why I send in my pledge money every year to support our local public radio station. I'm not hearing this kind of music anywhere else...

You can hear Transcontinental 1:30 a.m., and several others by Ms. Teng, here. Or you can visit her website and listen to the songs she's posted for the public.

Here are the lyrics to this song, from Vienna Teng's website:

Transcontinental, 1:30 a.m.

wait. don't let this line go slack. don't go alone into the cold. wait. don't give up on this yet. I know that there's more you haven't told. wait my love, just one more thought...wait my love, I haven't got time in my life to watch you drift out to sea. so please, wait. don't let this line go slack. I want to bring you back to where I know you. wait. don't give up on this yet. I just want you to let you let me hold you. wait my love, just one more thought...wait my love, I haven't got time in my life to watch you drift away. but I've all kinds of time if you'll stay. I know we're transcontinental, 1:30 a.m. and there's not even a wire, just a whispering in air. I know we're transcontinental, 1:30 a.m. but I'm here.

4 comments:

On December 23, 2006 at 4:50 PM Laughingrat said...

Are you familiar with the band Hem? I really enjoy their singer's voice. Normally I prefer male singers, but Hem's sound caught me.

On December 24, 2006 at 8:39 AM Bill of the Birds said...

Yes, I have a few songs by them on my iPod. Will listen more closely.... Thanks for the tip!

On December 24, 2006 at 11:47 AM Liza Lee Miller said...

I always enjoy your "song in my head" recommendations! Thanks for another pointer!

On June 17, 2018 at 10:12 PM alex xander said...

Hi everybody!
Today I will share the top sound in 2018. You will listen to music, experience hot tunes, beautiful melodies. You can refer to and see instructions for downloading ringtones for your mobile phone. Quality ringtones. Ringtones are attractive.

Top 5 ringtones installed most in 2018, You can refer to:

- IPL ringtone - ringtonedownload
- Sanam Re – Instrumental ringtone - ringtonedownload
- Thalli Pogathey ringtone - ringtonedownload
- Jio Dhan Dhana Dhan ringtone - ringtonedownload
- Airtel ringtones - ringtonedownload

Also you can refer to the telugu music here: - Tamil ringtone Download

All ringtones are free to download. To find out more about the latest ringtones, you can go to my homepage: https://ringtonedownload.in/

Hope my ringtone will bring a new look to the ringtone world. Thank you!


[BACK TO TOP]