Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My Favorite Shoes

Wednesday, January 11, 2006
2 comments
Warning: I am about to gush about a commercial product.

It's the pair of Keen shoes that I got from Julie for Christmas. They are the Ouray style (color: Moonrock), an all-weather version of the Keen sandals I scored last June in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and that I wore almost constantly until it got cold and snowy.


I have long feet with high arches. And I've done some awful things to my feet. Broken bones a couple of times.... almost ripped my left little toe off in a tumble from a dock in Belize. So my feet are not normal and most shoes that I wear are only marginally comfortable.

But not my Keens. They are so comfy I am utterly unaware that I have shoes on my feet.

My winter-friendly Keen Ourays

The brand was originally designed for water-sports enthusiasts, kayakers, boaters, etc., who needed something lightweight, waterproof, quick-drying, with toe protection (an improvement over Tevas and other open-toed sandals).

I stumbled on Keen shoes by accident. I tried a pair on for the heck of it while killing time in an outdoor store in Grand Forks. I immediately bought them. I walked next door to meet Julie and showed my new shoes to her. She recoiled at the $80 price tag. I encouraged her to try a pair on, too.

She bought them.

I've worn my newest Keens birding, hiking, biking, and basically all day every day since December 25. I have found they don't really look good with formal wear, or with a Speedo. Every other situation is fair game.

I am about to put them to the ultimate test at a three day trade show called BirdWatch America in Atlanta, Georgia. Trade shows are like the New York City Marathon for feet because you stand all day on concrete. I am sure my Keens are up to the task and will keep my feet comfy while I am smiling and shaking hands, talking business, and telling bad jokes.

No, I am not a paid endorser of Keen shoes. I just like them a lot.

FYI, I also bought Julie a pair of Keens for Christmas. She's now got three pair.
Julie's Keens, also Ourays, color: brick

Tip: If you buy them online, order them slightly too large. The women's models tend to run a bit small. Probably best to find them in a good outdoor/shoe store so you can try them on first.

Here endeth the gushing....

2 comments:

On January 12, 2006 at 8:12 AM Rondeau Ric said...

"So my feet are not normal " so they match your mind and sense of humour.

Have 'fun' at the trade show.
; )

On October 24, 2006 at 7:54 AM Anonymous said...

I found this site about Keen Shoes. I love the styles. I bought a pair of the Keen Shoes called Newport. Love them. Highly recommend because of the toe gaurd. Nice concept.


[BACK TO TOP]