Tuesday, August 22, 2006

One Month Ago: Muzi Pan

Tuesday, August 22, 2006
6 comments
BOTB birding Muzi Pan, late July 2006.

It's hard to believe that one month ago, at this time in the afternoon, I was scanning the shallow, hippo-rich waters of Muzi Pan, along South Africa's northeastern coast, for coursers and flamingos.

This afternoon, I am dodging in and out of meetings, editing copy, wrestling with a balky color printer, and trying to remember to stop by the grocery store on the way home.

Even though my trip to South Africa is just one month removed from today, it seems like a long time ago. Every so often I look back through some of my images form the trip and find I've already forgotten some details. They say that's the first sign of....uh....ummm......uhhhh....

Last night, I was a small part of a major victory. The St. Luke's Lutheran Church co-ed softball team crushed (in a very merciful, spiritual way) the team from Sand Hill Baptist Church in the championship game. Final score: 9 to 2. I did not hit too well but did play adequate defense at third base. Don't mess with the Lutherans.... I am going to miss playing--it's a long winter.

Tomorrow the kids start back to school (something I find hard to believe). Seems like only yesterday it was the start of spring migration. It will be Liam's first year to go all day every day to school. I think he's secretly looking forward to it as it will enhance his feeling of being a big boy. But the house is going to be mighty quiet during the day. Not sure how we'll handle that.

Ain't life grand?

6 comments:

On August 22, 2006 at 7:49 PM Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, how do you and Julie find the time to lead such full lives and write the best blogs on the web? Love your photography and all that goes with it, so many interesting tidbits! Didn't know a sun dog from a corn dog til I saw it on your blog. By the way, I loved Ora Anderson's poem and am really looking forward to the book. Thanks so much for your day-brightening blog!

On August 22, 2006 at 9:04 PM Anonymous said...

Bill, Your blog just gets better and better...and it was always outstanding. I love the mix of haiku, photos, birds, humor, commentary on life. Today's post is so much about change (seasons, the growing up of children) and yet, the thread running through it all is the connection of the human heart. much love to you and the fam.
S.

On August 22, 2006 at 10:36 PM Anonymous said...

Muzi, Mkuzi or N'sumo? I don't remember a Muzi Pan. Now, Marzi Pan I know. They make babies out of it.

Loved this post.

Science Chimp

On August 22, 2006 at 11:37 PM Susan Gets Native said...

Ah, going back to school...my favorite time of year!

On August 23, 2006 at 9:00 AM Rondeau Ric said...

Going back to school!

Please no! Ours are 23 and 25 and supposedly graduated and have jobs and places of their own. My cheque book can't take any more school.

Oh, the debt... I mean joys you have to look forward to and before you know it your little girl bring home a beau….

Enjoy the seasons – The Circle Game is upon you.

On August 23, 2006 at 4:22 PM Anonymous said...

Happy first day of school, I love the enthusiasm and anticipation of getting a kid ready to go.
Our youngest will start High School next week, so we have some of the same nervous anticipation at our house.
Love that shopping for new shoes and school supplies, they seem to think they need a truckload of the stuff on the first day!
Caroline in SD


[BACK TO TOP]