Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Chautauqua Scenes Recalled

Wednesday, August 9, 2006
5 comments
The full moon rises over Lake Chautauqua like a giant pumpkin.

Recently, we spent a week at The Chautauqua Institution where we seem to go annually to give talks and teach bird-related courses. It's a lovely setting. And stimulating to mind and body, especially since you must walk or bike everywhere on the quaint Chautauqua grounds.

If you've never been, consider going. It's like nothing else I've experienced. The goal for any visitor is to renew mind, body, and spirit. A worthy goal in these troubled times we're living in, no?

There is a thriving colony of purple martins at Chautauqua. Even total non-birders know the martins.

I took my first solo sail on Lake Chautauqua. It was blissful to the nth degree.

Early morning mist rising off the lake. I walked the waterfront at dawn, singing songs to myself.

5 comments:

On August 9, 2006 at 10:43 PM Susan Gets Native said...

What a beautiful place! Add that to the very long list of places I want to see before I die.
But first on the list is: Indigo Hill.
:-)

On August 10, 2006 at 8:29 AM Rondeau Ric said...

I suppose singing to your self isn't the same as talking to your self.

Nice to know there are places like Chautauqua left in the world.

On August 10, 2006 at 9:20 AM Bill of the Birds said...

It''s a beautiful place, Chautauqua. I heard three guys in a rock band talking about p;laying at Chautauqua. The guitar player said: "Man it's so beautiful here!" The drummer said "Yeah, it's Perfectville!" The keyboard player said: "But it's a little bit Stepford, too!"

On August 10, 2006 at 10:46 AM Anonymous said...

Loved your lake pictures, reminds me of mornings on Lake Champlain farther to the northeast in NY. We go "home" there for 2 weeks every July. Favorite morning thing is to go sit on the dock with bare feet in the water and just listen to the world wake up. I don't, however, sing to myself..it would not add to the peaceful nature of the scene.:)
Caroline
Black Hills of SD

On August 14, 2006 at 11:30 PM Bill said...

Beautiful Shot, Bill!


[BACK TO TOP]