Monday, October 13, 2008

Big Sit 2008: Final Report

Monday, October 13, 2008
7 comments
The view from the tower on Big Sit day 2008.


Well we ended up the 2008 Big Sit at Indigo Hill at 69 species. That's a new record by four species (the old record was 65).

It was a fine fall day: cool early and late, but pretty warm in the middle. As always we missed a few birds that showed up the day before and the day after: house sparrow and killdeer to name two. But we didn't really have any major misses, which was nice.
Late in the day on the Big Sit.

Thanks to all the birding pals who made the scene. This is my kind of birding event.

Abrazos,

Bill of the Birds

For some reason, Blogger/Blogspot is not letting me post images. I'll come back and add them in later I guess. Sorry!
We're still hoping for that beer company sponsorship. Hey how about Newcastle?

7 comments:

On October 13, 2008 at 2:56 PM entoto said...

Congratulations on the record breaking Sit! I am sure it was a grand time for all.

On October 13, 2008 at 4:06 PM rmharvey said...

Passing the old record by four is excellent!

Of course now it will be that much harder to set the NEXT record. 8-)

On October 13, 2008 at 7:37 PM Kathi said...

Congrats on your record breaking Sit.

House sparrow as a "miss" is a good thing in bluebirding terms. I'm surprised you didn't have a Killdeer, though. I still had them here this morning. Are yours gone, or were they just taking Sunday off as a day of rest?

Will you post the whole list?

~Kathi

On October 13, 2008 at 7:40 PM NCmountainwoman said...

I think I'd rather not make the 70 mark than to have a cussed house sparrow put me over the top. The Killdeer would have been nice, though.

On October 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM Mary said...

I'm looking forward to a list and photos. Sounds like so much fun!

On October 17, 2008 at 9:29 AM dguzman said...

Congratulations! I know you've been trying to break that record for a couple of years. You've really set yourself a task for next year too!

On October 17, 2008 at 1:25 PM Jason Kessler said...

A bit more carbon-neutral than a World-Series-of-Birding Big Day, no? Sounds like my cup of tea.

Congrats on the record!


[BACK TO TOP]