Friday, May 9, 2008

WV Warbler Neck

Friday, May 9, 2008
6 comments
Male black-throated blue warbler—my favorite among these stunning songsters.

When you're scanning for warblers in the treetops here in beautiful West Virginia you need to be mindful of the affliction known as warbler neck.

Birders on my High Country Birding field trip along Glade Creek Road, Fayette County, WV.

This is how it happens. The only solution is to go back to your cabin after the field trip and get into the hot tub. Works every time, as Billy Dee Williams used to say.

6 comments:

On May 9, 2008 at 8:38 AM Jayne said...

Oh to only be able to see so many that I'd get warbler neck... it would be so worth it!

On May 9, 2008 at 8:56 AM Bill of the Birds said...

thanks jayne!
it's raining here today but the birds are still singing.

On May 9, 2008 at 8:59 AM Eve said...

Ha Ha thank goodness for hottubs!
Hope you see more than you can handle Bill!

On May 11, 2008 at 6:14 AM Vickie said...

I enjoyed seeing your warblers.
And yes, even though mine are coming down lower in the canopy because of overcast and rain here in TN, the neck thing got me yesterday. This week I've met four warblers that I've never seen before, in my own yard, mostly because I 'didn't think I could'. ha. I'm having so much fun. They are so beautiful.

On May 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM Texas Travelers said...

We are still recovering from "Warbler" neck from last weekend. It was great tho.

We have posted:
Alaska's Haul Road - The Dalton Highway.
A 414 mile gravel road,
to the Arctic Ocean

Come join us for the trip,
Troy and Martha

On May 15, 2008 at 9:36 AM Anonymous said...

Bill,
I am fairly new to birding and love the Warblers. This spring "Warbler Neck" has gotten the best of me and Advil is my new best friend! I kept this dirty little secret to myself, however, because I thought it was poor technique on my part and "real" birders don't suffer in this way. Thanks for making me feel right at home and taking away the need to suffer in silence! Happy Birding!


[BACK TO TOP]