Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Things I Did Not Know

Tuesday, February 19, 2008
9 comments

More knowledge absorbed inadvertently during my Las Vegas odyssey.

There is actually a product that mixes Budweiser and Clamato (which is clam juice and tomato juice combined). Now to my mind that's just gilding the lily a bit too much.

I would give almost anything to have been in on THAT marketing meeting.

Marketing Genius #1: Gentlemen, those Defecting Dalmation commercials are killing our sales of Bud! We've GOT to come up with something new to turn things around!

Marketing Genius #2: We could add something to every can! Like lime or algae!
MG #1: Nah. Green is SO 2007!
MG #2: How about another color? Purple! We could say there's a little bit of Barney the Dinosaur in every can!
MG #1: No. Giant costumed creatures freak me out. Same with clowns and mimes.
MG #3: Man I feel sick. I think I ate some bad clams last night!
MG #1: BRILLIANT! We'll add CLAMS!
MG #2: What color are clams?
MG #1: Who cares! We'll toss in some tomatoes too and make it Bud Red!
MG #2: That's why you're Marketing Genius #1!
MG #3: raaaaaaaaalllllllpppphhhh!

It's great that you can buy 14 ounce cans of this stuff.
I wonder if it comes in kegs?

9 comments:

On February 19, 2008 at 11:33 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

Beer, tomatoes and clams???

Too bad it probably cost $8 a can in your Vegas hotel room. I sure would have liked to have had that empty can, as solid evidence that aliens do walk among us.

On February 19, 2008 at 1:05 PM Anonymous said...

I've had it before. Not too shabby, but no Bloody Mary.

I don't know who came up with it or how it spread, but I've known people who drank beer that way.

I guess it says a lot about your own product when you think that marketing it with rancid clam juice won't be a major problem.

On February 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM BWJones said...

"What did he say his name was?"

He said his name was Raaaaaalllllph man!

On February 20, 2008 at 6:38 AM Jayne said...

Honestly, I thought you were kidding. Oh. My. Well. Count me out. Bleh!

On February 20, 2008 at 8:57 AM Mary said...

and those marketing geniuses who came up with this absurd combination got paid big bucks. Can't imagine anyone yelling out over a pile of steamed crabs, "Hey, pass me a Bud Clamato!" Ughh.

On February 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM kevbosnafu said...

I actually have a can of this in my Beer Can Museum. Makes visitors shudder every time they see it. There are also a number of bizarre beer/tequila, beer/cola, and beer/fill in the blank mixes from Germany that are crowd pleasers!

On February 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM Owlman said...

Anything mixed with Bud light can only be an improvement. Yes, I'm one of those green bottle snobs. Give me a Heineken or Amstel any day....

On February 22, 2008 at 2:55 PM Susan Gets Native said...

My FIL loves Clamato...I thought he was the only person in the world who even knew what it was.

Beer. Tomatoes. Clam...gag...juice.
Juice? How does one actually get juice out of a clam?
Some things are better left unknown.


[BACK TO TOP]