Friday, February 22, 2008

Dillo

Friday, February 22, 2008
7 comments

While doing some sundown birding with a gang of pals last month on Cape Canaveral National Seashore, I got to enjoy the single-minded foraging routine of this nine-banded armadillo. It's been years since I've seen an armadillo so I made a point of watching this one as long as it would let me.

According to scientists, climate change is going to mean we'll have armadillos in Ohio. They've apparently made it into western Kentucky already. Our winters are too harsh for these hard-to-categorize creatures because they do not carry enough body fat to survive long-term cold (and those shells CAN'T be too warm).

This 'dillo was snuffling along the edge of the parking lot, poking into the shore dune scrub, no doubt seeking insects, ants, grubs or something else tasty to eat.

Armadillo, by the way, means little armored one in Spanish. I considered it buena suerte that I got to see this l'il dillo doing its thing.

7 comments:

On February 23, 2008 at 7:53 AM Jayne said...

I remember visiting a friend in Texas and seeing them as road kill all over the place. I was fascinated by them, though there, it was like opossums are here for us. Cool dillo photos!

On February 23, 2008 at 8:12 AM Wren said...

Oh, you are so lucky. I've never seen one in the wild.

On February 23, 2008 at 9:57 PM Mary said...

HA! Yes, a bug :o)

On February 25, 2008 at 11:49 AM Big Green Guy said...

They are just so very odd. I hope to be able to see one for myself someday. Thanks for the treat.

On February 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM Rondeau Ric said...

prehistoric, they remind me of horseshoe crabs

On February 26, 2008 at 11:27 AM dguzman said...

The instant I saw your first dillo pic, the opening strains of "Rock the Casbah" came into my head!


[BACK TO TOP]