Friday, October 26, 2007

One More Peru Story

Friday, October 26, 2007
9 comments
A few miles off the Pacific coast of Peru, a feeding flock of seabirds.

On my very last day in Peru, I had the most frightening experience of the entire trip.

It involved a pelagic trip on the (not very) Pacific Ocean on a tiny boat with 9 full-sized adults. Only five of us lasted the entire journey--the rest of our group disembarked when things started to get really harsh.

We were assigned specific spots to stand or sit to keep the boat balanced. When even one person moved out of place you could feel the tiny boat heeling over. We got covered in salt spray, soaked by rain, nearly capsized by 12-foot-high waves, and were chilled by the bone-aching cold. (Even though we were all wearing full-body rain suits.)

Why do this? Well, we saw some incredible birds and mammals. For more than one reason it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most of us. I don't have time to tell the entire tale now, but I promise to have it posted here on BOTB by Monday morning.

Until then you can look at my crummy photo above and try to ID the three life birds I got out of this very flock. If you need a hint, say so in a comment and I'll offer up a clue or two.

9 comments:

On October 26, 2007 at 4:47 PM mon@rch said...

Love the photo and such an amazing trip you had! I just might give a few of these birds a try!

On October 26, 2007 at 7:49 PM Anonymous said...

All I have to say is a Mid Ohio Valley, "Holy Cow Bill!' Twas an adventure! I have no clue....but I patiently await!
Marcy

On October 26, 2007 at 8:31 PM Anonymous said...

I can make out Peruvian Boobies and Guaney Cormorants.

Ethan Kistler

On October 26, 2007 at 9:07 PM Bill of the Birds said...

Check out the sharp eye and big brain on Ethan! Way to go!

Well EK, there's a tern in there, too.

On October 26, 2007 at 9:23 PM Anonymous said...

Looks like an Inca Tern flying right towards the bottom of the photo.

Ethan

On October 27, 2007 at 5:16 AM KatDoc said...

OMG! Ethan is way too good at this game! I was going to say "some kind of shearwater, some kind of gull, some kind of tern" as my guess.

I never even heard of any of those birds, let only had a clue as to their identification.

~Kathi, amazed and mystified

On October 27, 2007 at 11:12 AM Anonymous said...

Sorry I can't enter the game. After the description of balancing the boat, etc., I had to take a Bonine and lie down. Hopefully I'll recover and try my hand at the birds.


[BACK TO TOP]