Thursday, December 7, 2006

The Snowy Road Home

Thursday, December 7, 2006
7 comments
NY Route 86 in Chautauqua County, just before the roads got really bad.

I made it home to SE Ohio from W NY after a hairy, eight-hour drive that should have been a little more than half that. Roads were horrible all the way south to Pittsburgh.

I drove at least two of the hours with the flashers on, going 25 mph. Needless to say, given recent events this winter, I was not going to drive like the roads were clear and dry. Some passing motorists did, however, earning themselves a customized one-finger salute (which, sadly, they could not enjoy from behind their slush- and salt-coated car windows.)

Sorry, I'm normally such a sweetheart behind the wheel. But I was in no mood, having had a couple of those adrenaline-pumping moments when you suddenly realize you have NO control over the car. You're turning the wheel and nothing happens and the brakes start giving their percussive "we give up now" moan. Saw a few wrecks, but mostly just unlucky cars that had slid (slud?) into the median ditch.

It's nice to be home safely.

And speaking of one-finger salutes....

7 comments:

On December 7, 2006 at 10:44 PM Anonymous said...

Glad you're home safely!

On December 7, 2006 at 11:39 PM Anonymous said...

Yes! Safely home and here for us to learn from again. I realize that this is your blog and not a question and answer column, however. . . I am quite far behind in my reading, and perhaps you have covered this, but in my role as Santa in this house, I am looking for binoculars for a certain very good little 3.5 yr old. Do you have a recommendation? (And yes, as in so many other years, Santa is on a budget.) Thanks, dear safe one!

On December 8, 2006 at 8:55 AM Bill of the Birds said...

Dear Anon #2:
The best binos I've found for young birders are the Leupold Yosemites, they retail for about $90. They are 6x 30 binos (nice wide field of view), very lightweight, and they just seem well designed for little hands and eyes. And they come in neat colors.

On December 8, 2006 at 9:19 AM Rondeau Ric said...

It isn't the weather and roads that bother me during winter driving, it's the idot drivers. They seem to think 4 wheel drive means 4 wheel stoping.
I know how to drive in the snow and ice (eh!) but those people scare the hell out of me.

RR

On December 8, 2006 at 9:27 AM Anonymous said...

Santa says thanks! And now I'm off to shop, I mean, instruct the elves! Really, thanks for sharing. And RR is right on about the other drivers. I just to just cringe. Especially when someone with Florida, or Puerto Rico plates flew by. My morning communte used to be past a military installation with lots of young drivers whose skills were perhaps better suited to the tanks. I knew where the deer crossed by the river and I used to, gasp, slow down there. I was not popular. But it was always amusing to see the bumper inspectors back way off when they, too, finally spotted the 4 legged hazards. But on ice? Not nice!

On December 8, 2006 at 9:36 AM Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home safely!

On December 8, 2006 at 12:50 PM mon@rch said...

BT3 - I am glad to hear that you made it back on time but only wish the weather had gotten better sooner! Seeing this blog only makes me appreciate your talk more reading about your adventure home! I love your shots of the road while driving home!


[BACK TO TOP]