Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Hatching Nuts

Wednesday, December 13, 2006
3 comments

The white-breasted nuthatches at our feeders do the one-seed-at-a-time-thing. They grab a black-oil sunflower seed and fly off to some handy perch to hack (or "hatch") it open. We hear them pounding on our shingle roof all day long--seven or eight blows until the shell is cracked open and the nutmeat devoured. Then they swoop back to the feeder for another seed.

This guy was working on a seed he'd wedged into a crevice on a gray birch trunk. He did not like the attention I was paying to him with my giant camera lens, so he spun sideways and flew up to the top of the tower, where he finished his work on the seed unmolested.


I like how he's pushed off with his feet and how his pot-belly is showing. To me this looks like a man in a nuthatch costume.

3 comments:

On December 13, 2006 at 6:15 PM mon@rch said...

We have one nuthatch which takes the seed from the window (we put see in there) and found a spot in the window that it can use to break it open! Sounds like someone is knocking at the door every 5 minutes!

On December 14, 2006 at 12:50 PM MojoMan said...

Often, when I'm working on a roof or exterior trim, I'll find a seed tucked under a shingle or in a joint in the boards. It always makes me smile as I am reminded of one of my favorite birds.

On December 15, 2006 at 6:54 PM KatDoc said...

Nice shots of the WBNU. For my photo album project, I particularly wanted one in its classic upside-down stance. I never saw a nuthatch perch and feed head-up so much as the uncooperateive little so-and-so in my yard! Finally got my shot, but it isn't totally in focus. Oh, well, I'll keep practicing.

~Kathi


[BACK TO TOP]