Saturday, March 3, 2012

My Best Birthday Bird

Saturday, March 3, 2012
11 comments

Today is my birthday. And it's not just any birfday. It's my 50th. Funny I don't FEEL 50, and I'm not even sure how the time flew past so dang fast. But here I am, teetering on the brink of my second half-century.

I've spent quite a few of my recent birthdays in some far-flung birdy place: several in Guatemala, one in the Philippines. This year I'm happily staying at home on the farm in southeast Ohio (though there is some planned merry-making in the offing). In thinking about my best birthday bird ever, there is one that jumps to mind: the bat falcon I got to add to my life list in Guatemala on March 3, 2008. You can read my account of this experience in this post and this post.

My 2008 bat falcon in Flores, Guatemala. My best birthday bird ever.

The funny thing about that bat falcon sighting was that bat falcons are not that difficult to find in Guatemala, yet I'd been skunked on seeing one over the course of multiple visits to that exceedingly birdy country. I'd seen the much rarer orange-breasted falcon several times, but no bat falcon. Thanks to my buddy Jeff Bouton for spotting that 2008 bat falcon for me. It was starting to get both weird and a bit embarassing not to have seen this common falcon.

If you're still reading, and you can't wait to learn more about my odd birthday obsessions, you can read about my favorite birthday food (my mom's cherry-custard pie) in this post from 2009.

I guess the bat falcon could be replaced at the top of the birthday birds list. But it would take something like a whooping crane flying over the farm, being chased by a gryfalcon, which was being buzzed by a Xantus' hummingbird. Now THAT's a birthday birding experience!

March 3, 2008. Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.

11 comments:

On March 3, 2012 at 7:33 AM Rondeau Ric said...

Happy 50th Bill!
60 isn't bad either, soon I'll be able to tell you about 65.

Your Moms pie is awesome.

May a Ross's gull fly over the farm today.

On March 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM KaHolly said...

Happy Birthday, Bill!! 50 wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, either, but I'm not so keen on the fast approach of 60.

On March 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM Maxime said...

Enjoy. My daughter is 17 today.

On March 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM Anonymous said...

Happy 50th Bill Thompson!

On March 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM Anonymous said...

I hope you get your birthday wishes and more!

On March 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM x said...

Happy 18 x 2 + 14 birthday from below sea level Bill! In a few days I will be 18 x 3 + 2 and it feels about the same! The one constant I have noted is that the grounds gets farther away every single time I reach for it.

On March 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM AML said...

I like your telescope it looks great for watching bay area. and oh how was your birthday Bill? Is it wonderful we too like birds great pictures Bill thanks for sharing..

On March 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM Blueyedame said...

Beautiful Website!
We live in Linton, IN. My husband drives through the Goosepond to and from work every day. We took pics today of what we thought were Whooping Cranes, but thanks to your website we found out they're American White Pelicans. They took off and circled our heads for about 15 minutes. They are HUGE birds!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150719460301276.451300.733031275&type=1

On March 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM Blueyedame said...

Happy Birthday!
I turned 50 last October...It feels the same as 49...lol.

On March 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM Linda said...

Happy belated birthday. Just came across your blog today. I am 5 years older than yourself and don't feel my age, either. Your photos are great.

On March 21, 2012 at 2:25 AM jacobmontereal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

[BACK TO TOP]