Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day of Days: March 3

Thursday, March 3, 2011
10 comments

Today is my 48th birthday. Funny, I don't feel a day over 50.

Taking inventory today I find I can make the following statements with complete confidence:
  • My sense of humor stopped maturing somewhere around 16.
  • I went running today and made it about 3/4 of a mile before Nick Nolte's voice came into my head, saying "I'm too old for this $#!+"
  • It's worth it to get up each day to watch the sun rise.
  • Being rich with blessings is better than just being rich (never having actually been rich, I guess this is more of a hypothesis....)
  • I like what I do and I [try to] do what I like
  • I think you can buy T-shirts that say that
  • Music feeds me better than any food (except for my mom's cherry-custard pie, which totally kicks culinary butt)
  • My hair is growing well, but in all the wrong places
  • The aches and pains of growing old are simply there to remind you that you are still among the living.
  • I love the company of my family of friends and the love of my own little family
I'd like to send out some special birthday wishes to my fellow March 3 celebrants:
Ron Tuffel
Valerie Butler
Su Snyder
Holly G. Wallinger
King John II of Portugal (I think this is for whom the Porta John is named)
Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Alexander Graham "Cracker" Bell
John Montgomery "Monkey" Ward
Charles "The Scheme" Ponzi
Jean "The Original Hotness" Harlow
Doc "Guitar" Watson
Gudrun Pausewang (perhaps the BEST name EVER!)
"Who will?" Lee Radziwill
Lys Assia (second best name ever)
Perry Ellis
Snowy White
Robyn Hitchcock
Zico
Jackie Joyner-Kersee
Herschel Walker
Tone Loc
Brian Leetch
Matt Diaz (Let's Go BUCS!)
Seomoon Tak
Li'l Flip
Jessica Biel
and my special birthday pal John "George Peppard" Kogge

I plan to celebrate with a day of writing (book, blog [check!], and song), loads of my fave food, perhaps a frosty-cold bevvy, and a long walk (with birding) around the farm. Thanks to all my friends over at Facebook for the wishes of the day, for the direct notes I've gotten. Hugs to Julie for her always-sweet annual birthday post.

The biggest thanks of the day goes to my mom, Elsa Ekenstierna Thompson, for giving me this life. And to my dad, Bill Thompson, Jr., whom I miss so very much.

10 comments:

On March 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM KaHolly said...

Happy Birthday!!

On March 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM WPgirl said...

Happy Birthday Bill! Have a wonderful day.

On March 3, 2011 at 3:46 PM cyberthrush said...

Happy Birdthday!... rumor has it, you be the bomb!!

On March 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM Rondeau Ric said...

I won't go for a humourus post as it is your birthday.
Happy birthday Bill.

On March 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM Bill said...

Happy Birthday Bill of the Birds. May music and the song of birds fill your heart.

On March 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM corey said...

Happy Birthday!

From now on, just for fun, I shall refer to you as Pausewang Assia.

On March 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM Dave said...

Happy Birday Bill! I wish mine was on March 3rd...you have all the fun!

On March 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM Heather said...

Oh Bill, you always crack me up. I'm glad your sense of humor stopped maturing somewhere around age 16. Looking forward to seeing you around this year. As for now, I wish you the best of birthdays, dude. I hope it rawks! -HotH

On March 6, 2011 at 9:27 AM Auralee said...

Happy Birthday! Would you be willing to post your Mom's recipe for cherry custard pie? It sounds delicious!

On March 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM Anonymous said...

It's an honor to share the same birth date with you, sir. Su Snyder


[BACK TO TOP]