Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bankable Lifers?

Tuesday, March 29, 2011
6 comments
Indian hill myna

On a recent quick trip to South Florida, I was shown two new, but currently uncountable, life birds. The Indian hill myna, and the chestnut-fronted macaw are established exotics here in SoFla. We saw them nesting and making babies, so we know they are establishing their North American populations, however neither species is currently on the North American Bird List as an accepted, countable species.

Chestnut-fronted macaw.

So I am tucking these sightings away for the day when some enterprising ornithology student decides to do a study on these species for his/her PhD thesis. We're calling these species "Bankable Lifers" until they are countable.

Chestnut-fronted macaw. This one is for Charles.

6 comments:

On March 29, 2011 at 2:50 PM rmharvey said...

I've got some potential splits banked myself, but for newly established populations do they specify when they became countably established? I always assumed that the sighting had to occur after the ruling to qualify by the techicalities.

RH (a real downer at parties too)

On March 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM Grant McCreary said...

That was my understanding as well, if you're playing by the ABA rules.

On March 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM Unknown said...

The Hill and the Common Mynas were both in Florida City in March of 2009. A ranger at Flamingo told us about them. We stopper in town to check it out. Each type just where he said we wouldthem, one at McDonald's and the other across the street at Wendy's! Both eating french fries! In fact a Hill Myna was walking around at a stoplight where people were throwing fries to it.

On March 31, 2011 at 10:01 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

Awww...da boo boos in da nest hole!! I love that sweet pink-faced CFMA coming out of his nest. I know just what he's been doin' in there. Sure wish Charles could be free and squawking with them.

I find it very interesting that both of your "bankables" are species I've kept as aviary birds in my life. I love Charles the macaw, but I do not miss Yogi the greater Indian hill mynah one bit. My family wound up giving him to a Mr. Singh who was thrilled to see a bit of his homeland and, I'm sure, gave him better accommodations than we could in our Virginia living room. Phew. Not a good pet candidate.

On March 31, 2011 at 12:20 PM Julie Zickefoose said...

Interesting that both of your "bankables" are birds I've kept in my lifetime. Charles the chestnut-fronted macaw is great, but I wouldn't get one again (that was 21 years ago, and I was young and dumb). I had a greater Indian hill mynah just like the one you photographed when I was a kid. I don't miss him at all, poor thing. My dad gave him to a Mr. Singh who came to visit and was delighted to see a little remembrance of his homeland in our Virginia living room. I hope and trust he went on to better accommodations than we could give him. Sweet bird but oh what a mess a mynah is...it's a starling, after all, with all the concomitant poop production. And he was too old to learn to talk!

On March 31, 2011 at 9:51 PM dguzman said...

Do they earn interest?


[BACK TO TOP]