Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Here Comes the Solstice!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009
3 comments
It's wonderful to think that by next week the winter days will begin to lengthen and the nights begin to shorten. We can't complain, really. Our winter has been fairly mild thus far. But the killing frosts and chill morning air remind me just how much I love spring.

These two shots show the last full moon over the winter landscape near our southeastern Ohio farm. How ironic that as winter begins, so, too does the long slow tilting of the Earth toward spring.

3 comments:

On December 17, 2009 at 1:38 AM Murr Brewster said...

I love winter and gray. It's the frame around the easy stuff.

On December 17, 2009 at 6:32 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

There's quite a bit of winter to get through yet. I hadn't thought about the solstice also being the official first day of winter. The lengthening days seem like a necessary mercy. At this point, spring is hard for me to imagine.

On December 17, 2009 at 8:05 AM kevbosnafu said...

Last year we had a robin that found our little holly bush during the first week of January. It settled in for a few days and dined on every last berry. It, of course, had me believing spring had arrived extra early. I'm really hoping it returns in two weeks.

Go solstice...go solstice....!


[BACK TO TOP]