Monday, November 17, 2008

Hello Winter!

Monday, November 17, 2008
8 comments
Snow falling on sumac. Hey wasn't that a book?

There's a wet snow falling here in SE Ohio, with the temperature hovering just above freezing. It's not yet sticking on the roads. The barometer is calling for more.

The feeders are stocked and today's specials are: homemade suet dough (really popular with our regular customers), unsalted peanuts (sans shells), and black-oil sunflower seed.

I am marking the bird spa for early retirement. Bob the chipmunk is racing around like a maniac stuffing his cheekbags with seed. Why? Because tomorrow never knows.

Special message to Guyana Gal: Yes, the greenhouse thermostat is jacked. Bonsai pit is covered. Baker is under many blankets. Snoring. At least I HOPE those are snores...

8 comments:

On November 17, 2008 at 9:28 AM Heather said...

I'm so glad you got those first snow pics, BOTB. Unfortunately I didn't have time to snag snow photos before work this morning over here in Athens Co. Our drive to work from rural to urban went from snow piled up on top of ironweed and teasel to barely any accumulation at all in town. And good work on battening down the hatches whilst Mether is away. I'm sure she appreciates it!

On November 17, 2008 at 5:53 PM nina at Nature Remains. said...

Of course it would have to turn unseasonably cold as soon as Julie hits the tropics.
It sounds like you're all tucked in until it passes.

On November 17, 2008 at 8:00 PM Kathi said...

No snow in my little rural town, but when I came out of work this evening in the "big city," my car was covered. And me with no snow brush or scrapers. Bah, humbug - it's too early for snow!

The bluebirds, a Carolina wren, and a yellow-rumped warbler (SWEET!) are diggin' the suet dough here.

~Kathi

On November 17, 2008 at 8:24 PM Bill of the Birds said...

More snow here tonight and it's feeling a lot more serious than today's flurries. Temps are plummeting, too.

On November 17, 2008 at 9:02 PM entoto said...

Hmmmmm....nothing like wet, gooey snow to put a stop to normalcy. Good luck, there.

And now I want to re-read that David Guterson novel.

On November 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM entoto said...

Oh and are you homeschooling the kids for the next day or two??

verification: liptorke

I think that is Norweigan for chapstick.

On November 18, 2008 at 12:59 PM Julie Zickefoose said...

Oh, thank you for these pics from home, sweetheart, as I sweat quietly and a crab-eating raccoon rifles through my luggage...


[BACK TO TOP]