Monday, November 24, 2008

GameCam Night Pix

Monday, November 24, 2008
11 comments
I call this one: "Devil Bunny, Tire Swing, Moon, and Pear Tree."

I have been having fun with my two remote nature cameras. One is a Wingscapes BirdCam designed to take daytime images at feeders, nest boxes, bird baths, etc. The other is a MoultrieGameCam designed to take nighttime images of wildlife. Many hunters use gamecams to see what deer are coming in to a feeding station or what game is using a certain trail.

The night cams have motion sensors and a flash unit that lets them take a shot every time something walks past the sensor. These remote cameras bring out your inner spy.

I placed the Moultrie out in the east edge of the yard to capture images of the critters that were coming in to eat the pears falling from the ancient pear tree. I got what I expected—mostly rabbits and deer. Here are a few of the more interesting shots.

At 4 am, a nice-sized buck comes in for some pears. Check out the temperature registered on the camera. Brr!


This old boy is big enough to reach some of the low-hanging fruit. Smaller deer have to wait for wind falls.


A "fork-horn" buck hears the camera click.


And a nice six-pointer hoovers up some fruit.


Just at dusk, the first buck checks for any newly dropped fruit and also looks toward the house to see if anyone is about.


All kinds of wildlife gets captured in action.

11 comments:

On November 24, 2008 at 11:20 AM Susan Gets Native said...

Ah, the elusive wild Ohio Boston Terrier, turdtailus chetbakerus. Good capture!

On November 24, 2008 at 11:25 AM Patrick B. said...

Neat... I need one of these.

On November 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM RuthieJ said...

Cool pictures! Sometimes I've seen deer stand on their hind legs to reach the fruit too.

On November 24, 2008 at 2:23 PM possumlady said...

At first glance, without looking at the somewhat out of focus head, I thought the last photo was a very emaciated black bear cub!! I laughed out loud when I then saw Bacon's distinct black and white head.

That first photo reminded me of the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

On November 24, 2008 at 5:57 PM Anonymous said...

Dat debbil bunneh skares meh
—Chet Baker

On November 24, 2008 at 8:20 PM nina at Nature Remains. said...

At first, I thought you had a black bear....Baker!!

On November 24, 2008 at 10:52 PM Jason Kessler said...

What sort of wildlife do you think I might get if I put that camera up here in Manhattan?

A whole other sort of blog...

On November 25, 2008 at 9:55 AM dguzman said...

COOL! Devil Bunny is gonna give me nightmares, however.

On November 25, 2008 at 10:05 AM Janet Creamer Martin said...

Have you ever seen Donnie Darko? Now that is a scary bunny!

Very cool toy! Amazing what all goes on while we are snoozing.

On November 25, 2008 at 12:49 PM Mary said...

I knew who the little black and white was immediately!

I'd like to set up a camera inside the house and see the mischief while the cat's away.

On November 26, 2008 at 5:49 PM Anonymous said...

Thumbs up for Devil Bunny! :D

Great shots that wingcam gets - how fun to see what visits when "no one" is looking!


[BACK TO TOP]