Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Mantis Captures, Eats Sibley

Wednesday, December 7, 2005
1 comments

I was working in my home office when I came across a large female preying mantis. Upon taking a closer look, I noticed that she had captured a Sibley Field Guide in her taloned front legs and was in the process of killing it. I rushed to get my digital camera and snapped several images while the mantis completed her gruesome task.

I know that preying mantises are rapacious beasts and will kill and consume anything they can capture—moths, ants, butterflies, hummingbirds, Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs, and other small, beautiful things. But THIS! This is TOO much!

I watched as page-by-page, the mantis chewed and swallowed, not even stopping to wipe her ink-stained mouthparts.

Soon, all that was left was a single sheet of blank white paper.

And a mantis that looked at me with the eyes of a cold killer.

1 comments:

On September 1, 2006 at 8:45 PM Anonymous said...

WOW! Interesting... I just seen a preying mantis and decided too put it in a jar and investigate. I think its a female???


[BACK TO TOP]