Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Flying Home from Trini

Tuesday, July 28, 2009
3 comments

As you read this I am in the air somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean (or perhaps over the good old USA), flying home from Trinidad and Tobago. It's been a wonderful trip. Many birds, lots of laughs, no major catastrophes, and a decent (but bearable) load of chiggers.

Perhaps the second-most numerous tanager we encountered on this trip was the blue-gray tanager. The palm tanager took the crown as the MOST numerous, by the way. We saw this ubiquitous species every day in good numbers. I caught this blue-gray tanager taking off from a perch in a fruiting tree at the Aripo Agricultural Station. I was digiscoping him and happened to catch his launch into the air. A lucky shot!

Now it's time for my launch into the air. This has been a fabulous trip (and I love to travel) but as always, I'm looking forward to being home once more.

See you soon!

—Bill of the Birds

3 comments:

On July 28, 2009 at 8:45 AM Anonymous said...

Love the tanager picture. Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

On July 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM Dan Huber said...

Wonderful picture. Hope safe travels home.

dan

On July 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM quarksparrow said...

Such a beautiful bird! I always feel sad when I see photos of Blue-grey Tanagers. Our local pet store had one for sale for ages, and it broke my heart watching the little thing fly frantically back and forth his tiny cage every time a customer came into the back room. Made me wish I could stuff him in my jacket and hop on a plane to Brazil!


[BACK TO TOP]