Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lucky Shot: Chimney Swift

Wednesday, May 27, 2009
7 comments
Chimney swift.

These images may not look like much via the Blogger interface, but I'm fairly happy about them. I shot this gliding chimney swift as he swooped past our birding tower on our second Big Day, May 10.

Normally swifts zip past our tower at high speeds and zig-zag off into the blue, leaving me with a dozen images of nothing but sky. If you've ever tried to photograph a chimney swift, you know what I'm talking about.

But this chimney swift and his two traveling companions made to slow circles of our birding tower, probably checking it and our chimney out as possible nest sites. After their first slow circumnavigation, I realized what was going on and grabbed the camera. This was the only shot I got that had a sizable bird in the frame.

Here it is cropped slightly.
For the first time in my bird photo life, I was as swift as a swift.

7 comments:

On May 27, 2009 at 8:45 AM Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice pic! It's really hard to shoot flying birds (with a camera!). I try to stick to perched subjects!

-Jackie

On May 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM Beth in NYC said...

Congrats! These guys and swallows, martins, etc. are so difficult to capture!

On May 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM Robby said...

Bill,
Awesome photos. Here is something you might find interesting: http://snakeadventures.blogspot.com/ Will you add this to your bloglist?
Thanks,
Robby

On May 28, 2009 at 6:45 PM Dave Lewis said...

You the man!
I gave up on Swallows and Swifts, they make me dizzy...

On May 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM Born Again Bird Watcher said...

Very nice images. I've tried repeatedly with our owl local Vaux's Swifts but not with results anywhere near as good as yours shown here.

On May 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM Wren said...

Now that's impressive!

On May 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM Mary C said...

Oh, yes! Now that's a bird I believe may be the last one I'll ever capture in flight - and it should look so good. Great job, Bill!


[BACK TO TOP]