There are a lot of places I've always wanted to visit, and of course I want to visit them primarily for birding. But things like culture, history, cuisine, music, and meeting local people interest me almost as much.
So, here are 10 places that are on my Birding Travel Bucket List, and a brief explanation of why. I'm hoping that this blog post will act as a penny tossed in a wishing well, bringing me the chance to some day cross these off the list with an actual visit.
|Birders lunching near a village in Papua New Guinea.|
10. Kazakhstan. I love being in the wide-open steppe and big sky habitat, and from what I've heard, this country is just that, in spades. Add in some fantastic birds, interesting culture, and the fact that much of the former Soviet Union was off limits for most of my life and you've got a winner.
9. Nepal. The opposite of flat. While I have no desire to climb to the summit of Mt. Everest, I have always been fascinated with the culture and people from this part of the planet. Also: very phunky pheasants.
8. Chile. Birds & wine. Wine & birds. And the end of the Earth.
7. Morocco. I've always wanted to travel in the deserts of North Africa. Lots of endemic birds, too. I also have a fez collection.
6. Thailand. Pittas, hornbills, and actual Thai food. Oh my!
|Rainforest birding in Central America.|
|BOTB birding in Israel in 2016.|
Thanks for reading and I'll see you out there with the birds.
p.s. I'm sure you have your own Birding Trips Bucket List. If you want to share, please do so via the Comments section.