Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Moment of Zen: Preening on the Beach

Tuesday, February 24, 2009
3 comments


Doesn't it feel great when you get everything in the right place after a good preen? This mixed flock of gulls, terns, and shorebirds got into the preening mood as I was watching it one February morning on Sanibel Island, Florida. One moment they were napping, then one bird started preening and its neighbors decided that was a really good idea, so they started preening, too. I captured about 10 seconds of the action on video.

In this flock are the following species: laughing gull, ring-billed gull, royal tern, Forster's tern, Sandwich tern, and red knot. I love that the birds kept on preening even as the two humans walked by just feet away.

3 comments:

On February 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM Anonymous said...

This is really nice! Ahh. Wish I was on that beach instead of knee deep in snow!
--Mary in ME

On February 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM Willie Quinones said...

Nice to see birds other than the backyard birds I am used to. Nice.

On February 26, 2009 at 8:28 AM RuthieJ said...

It gets too hot in Florida for me, but I could definitely see myself getting away from Minnesota in February to sit on the beach of Sanibel Island and watch birds like this for a few days.


[BACK TO TOP]