Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Birds Seen Early and Late

Wednesday, November 14, 2007
8 comments
This morning, before I had to make it to an 8:30 meeting, I got out to see a few birds. And after the meetings were over, there was a bit more birding until the cloak of darkness fell at 6 pm.

This post is necessarily short since tomorrow starts with an early morning bird trip I'm supposed to help lead. Must...get...post...up....before.....sleep......

Since we had such fun with this week's Mystery Bird Quiz (congrats to Patrick Belardo for being the firstest with the bestest guess), see if you can guess where I went birding today, both early and late.

I promise to have more meat on the blog sandwich later in the week.

Eurasian collared dove.


Two plumages of white-crowned sparrow.

Enormous blackbird flocks.


Stately sandhill cranes.

Cranes looking good in front of yellow cottonwoods.

Wheeling flocks of hundreds of ducks and geese at dusk.

8 comments:

On November 15, 2007 at 5:38 AM KatDoc said...

Guess where you went birding? OK, since I missed the mystery bird (and please, keep them up - they're fun!) I will try the mystery location.

Newell's Run?

~Kathi

On November 15, 2007 at 9:37 AM Michelle said...

Platte River, NE?

On November 15, 2007 at 10:35 AM Mike McDowell said...

Great photos in nice light!

Mike M.

On November 15, 2007 at 11:18 AM The Old Women said...

You are where I wanted to be this week! Have a great time at the Bosque!!

On November 15, 2007 at 11:39 AM Mike Hendrickson said...

The blackbirds are Great-tailed Grackles in flight. To me it could be either Nebraska or New Mexico but I am leaning on the New Mexico guess by "the old woman".

On November 16, 2007 at 8:39 AM A dogs life in Africa said...

Love the pictures. You will enjoy reading Simon Thomsetts blog on African raptors on wildlifedirect.org - his photos and story telling are legendary

On November 18, 2007 at 1:49 PM zeladoniac said...

I vote for Common grackle, myself. But they are fairly black...and birds.

On November 21, 2007 at 12:14 PM Mary C said...

Hi Bill - it was so good to meet you and JZ this past week at the Festival of the Cranes. I guess you could say that I had an "inside" clue where those pictures were taken. :o) I'm glad you and your family enjoy birding, etc. at the Bosque del Apache; it's one of my favorites. I hope you plan on doing more tours next year.


[BACK TO TOP]